(see also Microdermabrasion below)
- Have you got deep folds between your nose and mouth?
- Have you got folds around the corners of your mouth?
- Have you got wrinkling in your cheeks or around your chin?
- Have you got sunken cheeks?
- Have you got scars?
- Is your skin loose and lacking elasticity?
If you answer yes to more than one of the above, then please read on.
What is Sculptra ?
SculptraTM is a synthetic injectable material known as "poly-L-lactic acid." Poly-L-lactic acid is biocompatible (a material that does not harm the body) and biodegradable (able to be broken down by the body). Poly-L-lactic acid has been widely used for many years in dissolvable stitches, soft tissue implants, and other types of implants.
How does SculptraTM work?
SculptraTM is injected below the surface of the skin in the area of fat loss. SculptraTM provides a gradual increase in skin thickness. Visible results appear within the first few treatment sessions. SculptraTM will not correct the underlying cause of the facial fat loss, but will help improve the appearance by increasing skin thickness in the treated area.
Do I need a skin test before being treated with SculptraTM?
No skin testing is required prior to use.
Who performs treatment with SculptraTM?
A qualified practitioner who has been trained to use the correct procedure for SculptraTM performs the treatment. Your Healthcare Professional will clean your skin and then inject SculptraTM in the areas of your face being treated.
Does the treatment hurt?
As with all injections you will feel some discomfort. It may be that you notice a brief burning sensation at the injection site. An ice packed applied after the treatment will help to calm your skin. If necessary, your practitioner can also give you a local anaesthetic.
What must I bear in mind after the treatment?
Your Healthcare Professional will give you special aftercare instructions. These include massaging the treated areas of your face in the first few days after the treatment. All you need is a few minutes twice a day.
Are there any side effects?
The most common side effect with the use of SculptraTM include injection-related side effects at the site of injection such as bleeding, tenderness or pain, redness, bruising, or swelling. These effects generally resolve in 2-6 days.
Are the results from SculptraTM immediate?
No. At your first treatment, it may appear that SculptraTM worked immediately because of the swelling from the injectins and the water used to dilute SculptraTM. In a few days, when the swelling goes down and the water is absorbed by your body you may look as you did before the treatment. SculptraTM takes time to work, results should be noticeable after approximately 6 weeks. Your healthcare professional will see you again in a few weeks to decide if you need more SculptraTM injections.
Microdermabrasion is used to treat a range of skin conditions and can be used without requiring any time away from work etc as there are no significant external signs apparent to others. Medical microdermabrasion is a non surgical resurfacing procedure undertaken by fully trained professionals. It is a from of exfoliating treatment which leaves the skin with a fresh healthy glow. It removes dead cells from the surface ,Improves the circulation and encourages new cell formation. This treatment can be used at any age for males and females. Microdermabrasion is an effective skin rejuvenation treatment which allows clients to continue normal activities as it has no significant downtime. Commonly treated conditions comprise ;
- Effects of sun damage
- Age Spots
- Acne related Conditions
- Fine lines and Fine wrinkles
- Blackheads and Whiteheads
The treatment uses a regulated flow of fine ,medical grade crystals to remove the outer layer of dead skin which as a result produces a smoother and softer skin surface. During the procedure , the operator uses a handpiece which moves across the skin surface . The medical grade crystals remove the stratum corneum which is the most outer skin surface . Excess material is removed by the vacuum produced by the handpiece. The epidermis of the skin is also stimulated in addition to the dermis which produces new collagen and causes a resultant thickening of the dermis. Microdermabrasion usually takes 20 to 30 minutes although this depends on the skin type and condition.
Improvements in the texture and outward appearance of the skin can in many cases be noted immediately after the first treatment . The benefits are most evident after multiple treatments done usually as part of a course and continued with regular maintenance treatments.
Benefits of Medical Microdermabrasion:
- Minimal risk
- Can be used for all skin types
- Suitable for Males and females
- No anaesthesia required
- No recovery time
- No hazardous chemicals
- Less pain and discomfort
Slight tightness and redness of the skin may last for only a few hours. For specialised deep microdermabrasion the effects may be slightly greater and are discussed at consultation.
ISOLAGEN (information only)Isolagen was a skin rejuvenation process for the improvement of fine lines and wrinkles around the face and neck area. The treatment was revolutionary and unlike any other treatment available in the world today.PLEASE NOTE; this treatment has now been withdrawn due to the need for further evaluation fron the UK and this section is provided for information only.
Patients' own collagen-forming cells (fibrolasts) are grown and injected back into the skin. The process can improve the skin's elasticity and strength by rebuilding its natural collagen support matrix. Improvements are usually seen with in 3 - 6 months.
This cell therapy process has been proven to be long-lasting and highly effective in improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars. Only three repeat treatments are required unlike other treatments, where injections are regularly required for effective results, and the benefits of isolagen have lasted for up to seven years in some patients.
Some benefits of the Isolagen process include:
- The first long-lasting collagen therapy in the world. There is no chance of sensitivity and no need for continuous top up injections, with some patients still showing excellent results up to 7 years late
- A quick and totally safe procedure. Your cells are grown in UK laboratories to the highest standards.
- A totally natural source of collagen. Derived from your own cells, Isolagen is a natural alternative to synthetic and animal based products. Collagen products currently available in the UK are made from bovine collagen, which is derived from cowhides.
- No allergic reactions. Bovine collagen is subject to the activities of enzymes that break down collagen, so the injections only last for three to six months. By contrast, three years after the Isolagen treatment , 80% of the collagen-forming cells are still active in the skin.
- Cell Storage. Isolagen can store your skin cells at any time for future use. Your cells are there to be called upon, at the age when they were originally harvested. Fresh, vibrant collagen producing cells that are your own and ready to regenerate your skin.
(For Microdermabrasion at the Leicester Skinmedics Clinic please click on the above link)